Sunday, January 24, 2010

Moody Blog DSNT = Moody Travels


I have been informed that my blog comes across as negative. It paints my trip in a bad light and leads people to believe my emotional range in Thailand is Debby Downer to Manny Mediocre. But, as disappointing as this might be, I do not cry in my room every night. Seriously. I am full of life! YAY!!!!! Of inspiration!!! YAY!!!!! Of joy and wonder! YAY!!!!!! General elatedness aside, I want to present to you a few reasons for my apparent displeasure on this here interweb.
  1. Sometimes, it's boring to read about happy things. "This week I had a great time traveling to Ayuthaya. I spent one night there. It is the old capitol of Thailand. I rode around on a bicycle and soaked my shirt with sweat. I was alone, so I spent most of my time fiddling with my camera and setting up the timer to take shots of myself. Most turned out pretty awkward; there was even one where I fell over because I was rushing into a pose too fast." I wrote it to be boring to stress a point, and therefore my point might be invalid. BUT, the better parts were the bad parts--sweat and falling over. I had a great time in Ayuthaya, though.

  2. Day to day recitation of activities ruins the beauty of my blog. I like to leave out a lot of experiences from my blog. I prefer to present snippets of this adventure, so that when finished, you the reader can use your magnificent brain to piece together the madness. Try to look at the blog as a whole as opposed to individual posts.
  3. Cultural differences are most easily presented as, "What?! That's crazy." I pick on the absurdities of Thai lifestyle because the more normal things are not very interesting. And the absurdities are hard to communicate to someone not experiencing them, so I stress the absurdities maybe a little more than I should so you get the picture. The cultural differences are very love-hate. For instance, Thai Time = show up whenever, don't plan ahead. I like it because I can be late for things and no one cares. I hate it because sometimes I wait two hours for a boat to leave and my entire day's travel is requires adjustment.

  4. Sarcasm sometimes isn't clear in writing. This one is hard to explain. Case and Point.
  5. I have always been bad at writing about happy things. If you, family and friends, remember some of my writing in the past, I tended to focus on the sad, depressing, absurd, grotesque, mean, and bad. Remember my poems in 9th grade where Joel and I tried to out-depress one another? Remember that time in 12th grade when I got sent to the guidance counselor because the teacher was worried about my life? Remember that time Junior year of college when I wrote a superb paper about a mourning gorilla mother who carried her child around for 28 days post-mortum? My focus in writing hasn't changed too much. The point is this: even though I write these sometimes horrible things, I am, as illustrated often by my behavior, one of the happier and more lively persons around. So no worries. Mai pen rai.
  6. Look at my photos. If writing is my artistic medium for the bad, photography is the medium for the happy.

(All photos from Kanchanaburi and Ayuthaya)

2 comments:

  1. I do remember the gorilla paper. That is far more debbie downer and gross than your blog. Well, maybe more depressing and gross than everything - except the post about Thai pop songs. I watched about 9 seconds of that clip and decided to leave that part to you....

    I like the picture of you with the tiger. Catch up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You brought tears to my eyes. Pictures ARE better than a thousand words. My perspective in now enlightened. Keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete