Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mushroom Houses and Dancing Little People

I preface this post by saying that the information which follows may be wrong, as it was told to me by a fellow Tall Person, but I do believe it to be true.


A strange first China post... yes. But did you know that some business man had the brilliant idea to get a bunch of Little People (LPs) together and make a village for them? And did you know that he built for them amazing little mushroom houses that they could live in? AND did you know that when you visit this mushroom village you can watch the LPs in costume sing and dance for you? It's AMAZING.

Okay, truthfully, I didn't go to this village. But it does exist outside a nice little city called Kunming in Yunnan province. It was created to be a sort of Disneyland-esque attraction, and in the fashion of a Disney production, the Little People aren't really allowed to leave, or at least not often. But before you start calling the discrimination police, hear me out. It turns out the LPs don't have to sing and dance, if they don't want to. Many of them work in the village restaurants, making food or waiting tables, or perhaps they are put in Tone Deaf Dungeon. Truly, I have to think that they are strongly encouraged to hum a little tune and tap a foot when they go about their business. What would be the point of a singing and dancing Little People vilage if they did not? I heard that they are compensated very well, by both the wages paid by their "owners"--the businessman and his friends--and by the visitors to their village. In addition to monetary benefits, there must be some mental gains from living in this sort of village. If you think about it, it might be nice to live in a place surrounded by people who share a similar phenotype. A child at the school would laugh at you for your pepperoni face and not your stature or your pene pequeno.

Seriously. Mushroom houses.

I have also heard tell of a little (heh heh) feud with a neighboring village, one where Tall People live. I can only imagine how this fight began. Maybe one of the Talls poked one of the Littles just a few too many times. Or maybe one of the Talls talked badly about the Littles' king (getting to this). Or maybe the TPs came and tickled the LPs with feathers while sitting on them. Whatever the cause, anamosity rages between the villages. It is rumored that the little people are ferocious. I am really not calling them animals here, but all I can think of is the small dog syndrome and of Mini Me from Austin Powers.

There exists a social hierarchy in the village, and the Little People have a king. I am not sure what kind of power the king actually holds. He may be able to wage wars with the neighboring realms, or he may be glutton who has his people build large (hahaha) statures of him around the village. What I do know is his Highness (...) is selected because he is the shortest person in the village. Of how this whole social structure was established I am not sure. He may be the result of divine intervention, or he may just have been selected by the businessman, apparently wise beyond comprehension.

To me, this village is the highlight of China, representing China's new ingenuity and care for social welfare. I deem it a must see, though I myself didn't get a chance to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment