Sunday, June 13, 2010

Home

Michigan!

It's been over a month now. Nuts. I've already adjusted. There were definitely some awkward moments, especially talking to people. But it's coming together. I am realizing that there are always awkward moments between me and People.

For those of you still in Thailand and abroad, it's a funny thing to go home. Driving is probably one of the coolest/most stressful things upon return. Those first few weeks, driving my car: I drove Thai style and completely cut someone off. I was in a parking lot behind a car waiting to takeover a parking spot. The current possessor was in reverse and began to pull away. I spun the wheel left, pulled forward, spun the wheel right, overcame the car, spun hard left again, and was in the space before the other car could move. My stepmom, in the car, reminded me that's not "what we do" in America. We stayed in the car and ducked until the overcome car drove by.

Still, even now, I say "khao jai leaw" to people when things make sense and "zhun de ma?" when I am surprised by things.

I find myself staring at people too much. I found out that I am normal... no more do people stare at me and stop me for pictures. And, as no one stares at me for looking so weird (interpreted by me as great), I cannot stare back. I think they find it creepy.

Everything here is green. Vibrant, amazing green. I think with the rainy season that has changed for all of you still in Thailand. I bet that's amazing.

When I taught my first Princeton Review class last month, I realized that I had forgotten how much I love small classes and people who come to class with the intention of knowledge acquisition. I have an enormous amount of fun with them and feel like I am really doing something other than downloading television shows in the school office.

I miss Thai happiness. I miss being able to talk to anyone at anytime and feel mutual interest in one another. I miss being able to buy meals for ten people for the same cost as my burrito from Chipotle with carnitas and guacamole.

My biggest culture shocks:
  1. Stress -- Americans live, eat, and breath stress. I was overcome by it those first two weeks. I hyperventilated in the car.
  2. Unhealthy people -- There is this weird look people here have about them. It's like they're missing something. And I think it's a healthy glow.
  3. Confidence -- It's hard to go from having everyone struggle just to talk to you to no one talking to you even though they can.
What I brought back from Thailand:
  1. This weird, seemingly everlasting happiness.

3 comments:

  1. awesome blog Brian. it's WEIRD you've been home so long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. monsoon season rules. i'm afraid for how normal i'll think it is to gawk at people. also, i wanna visit michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hell yeah, everyone wants to michigan!

    ReplyDelete