Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Trials and Tribulations of Beej in His Cubicle

Zach and Clare called me Beej. I thought it was funny. I still laugh about it, because I am bored.

Five days a week I sit in my cubicle. There is nothing to do. Tap. Tap. Tap.

Take Monday, for example. I have three periods out of eight in the work day. That's a lot of free time, especially when class is regularly cancelled for seemingly unimportant things--like cheerleading practice. Daa Da Da Dumb Dee Doo Hmmmmmm.

Sometimes I read. Sometimes I surf the interweb all day long. Sometimes I go to my room and sleep. ZZZzzzzz.

I drink a lot of coffee. It's instant coffee. Cousin Bradley, you would love the bitterness of each refreshing cup. (I feel like need to clarify now -- refer to point number 4.)

I like to download things on the incredibly slow internet and watch the bit rate fluctuate. 8 kB/s. 3.4 kB/s. 4.6 kB/sec. 23 hours remaining.

Downloading is challenging because the internet expires every six hours. I make it a game to re-login exactly when it expires, meaning I have to note the time and watch my clock carefully.

I stare into space. I see how many seconds I can keep my eyes open and fixed on a point before I lose interest or tears well up. It's hard because I always have to urge to look at my watch. 39 seconds.

There are tiny ants all over my desk and work area. I like to hunt.

2 comments:

  1. the part about watching the bit rate fluctuate: 555+

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout-out. Also the clarification of Point #4.

    ReplyDelete